Saturday, July 13, 2013

Apocalypse and how...

So Apocalypse has struck... I must admit my interest went as far as looking at some of the miniatures then wishing they were made of plastic or metal and then moving on...

Games Workshop's desire to build bigger and bigger confuses me... To me miniature war-gaming is in part getting emotionally invested in your miniatures. Sure there's a time to sacrifice something for the greater win, but these sacrifices should always be hard to make. Games like Mordheim and Necromunda work for me because with the small warbands / gangs you give a damn about your troops, especially when you instigate the campaign setting and games and results matter from one game to the next. Hell, even Space Hulk was made more awesome by each Marine having a name and back-story. You actually gave a damn when one of these marines went down (and if I'm playing marines that was often). I'm currently agonizing over what to name each of my mighty warships in my Rense Navy fleet I'm getting ready to paint... And let's face it naming a warship is an important thing...

Apocalypse, however, strips gaming of this feel, it's reduced to a tidal flood of plastic smashing into each other with massive amounts of dice rolling and squads / vehicles being removed from the table without much care... "Oh your obnoxiously large plastic miniature has destroyed my obnoxiously large miniature? Right oh... That clears some space for this EVEN BIGGER miniature!"

Well that's enough ranting for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment