Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dark Eldar Mandrake Unit

My completed Mandrakes! These were quite a lot of fun to paint. They're so very different from what I normally paint, IE Space Marines, and color wise they're quite easy to do. Overall I'm quite happy with the turnout. Some of the OSL is a little thick, but you can't win them all... You'll notice that one of them is without a weapon. They were a damaged product brought back to the store by someone who didn't want them, dunno what the GW return policy is but friendly manager let me have them for free so who was I to pass that up...

The biggest thing I've taken away from this is how good Andrea Paints are. I used the Red Paint Set to do the robes and I was impressed from the beginning. The paint gives great coverage, doesn't resist watering down, and is designed to be used with an airbrush or painted by hand. All-round top class stuff and I'll be slowly replacing a lot of my paints with them...

Someone told me I've been slacking off in explaining how I do things... You're right. I have. I'll try and remember for my next miniature ^_^

Oh and I got to be in the Tuesday Top Ten. Yay me! The slightly sad thing is that this was the best thing to happen to me so far this year... It's been a tough 27 days... Here's hoping it gets better ^_^
Posted by Picasa

Monday, January 17, 2011

Completed Test Miniature for the Mandrake.

The photos are a little dark, but they're viewable. Not really much new today, just more additions to already done stuff.

- Added some white to ice blue and touched up the inside blues...
- Highlighted the Skin with some lighter Gray. I decided to not highlight the skin again because I want the skin to be quite dark, as if it's just a husk for the energy within... Also makes the blue stand out ^_^
- The head needed some kind of color and the single colored eye wasn't quite enough. I wasn't quite sure what to do, but then I saw Major Tom's OSL for his Space Hulk terminators and figured I'd do that, but knowing I couldn't use an airbrush to do it so I tried to do it without. It came out somewhere down the middle. Not in the super great category, nor is it shocking... But again, it's the first time I've tried it without an airbrush... So practice will help me improve.
- Basic Snow base but I think the choice of Black and White helps the colors really take off more...

Thanks for all the comments recently guys. I really appreciate the feedback :)
Posted by Picasa

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dark Eldar Mandrake - Day Two

First off please excuse the images. They were taken early evening without my lightbox or any lights. Just couldn't be assed getting it all out...

All the base colors are now on, minus the base. The biggest change since yesterday is the blue Wytch-fire instead of green. The green was ok. But it didn't quite have the impact I was looking for. Then I remembered Roleplayers Jump pack tutorial and the blue he used for that and figured I'd give it a go. I think it looks pretty good, especially in contrast to the red...

The flames have come out quite nicely on his hand. GW goes from dark base to light outer as that "looks better" but fire is hottest, and thus brightest the closer to the source, so I've gone the other way. It's not perfect, but it's the first time I've tried it...

I've started lightning up the hair by picking out a few strands here and there going up the grayscale.

The blade is all boltgun metal with a wash of black followed by a wash of Orgyn Flesh to give it a worn look.

Things to do:
- Highlight the body.
- Highlight touches of the robes. -
Highlight the sword, and apply blood effects.
- Do the base. Since I have gone blue the Base will definitly be Ice...
Posted by Picasa

Saturday, January 15, 2011

And now for something completely different...

I know I'm meant to be starting on my Shadow Sanctus Captain, but I've changed that up and gone with a Dark Eldar Mandrake squad instead... Who knows what I'm thinking, but there ya go. ^_^

Anyway, here's a test miniature for my Dark Eldar Mandrake squad. I didn't like the brown of the robes on the GW ones, and as I like to use read quite heavily I thought it would be the way to go. I'm keeping the skin a very dark Charcoal and probably will keep Green as the Witch-fire and runes on him as well. Not sure what I'm going to do for the base yet. I'm thinking a snowy base might look interesting with the fire and lack of clothes... But we'll see.

The read was done with my airbrush. The red is from the Andrea Colors Red set. So it was the base followed by the last highlight. I think went with a little bit of Orgyn Flesh wash into the recesses. I'm still figuring out all the intricates with my airbrush, but it's working out well. I did the robes for all five mandrakes in the space of an hour which is pretty quick for me ^_^
Posted by Picasa